April 22, 2021
Seaspan’s culture of continuous improvement drives us to find innovative solutions and strive to do better every day. This includes demonstrating our core value of Care for the environment, by making environmentally responsible choices whenever possible.
Employees across our three shipyards, and at Seaspan Marine and Ferries, continue to drive and support a growing number of environmental initiatives.
- Made the change to LED lighting at the shipyard’s Marine Lifeboat building. The new, brighter lighting will save approximately 10,000 kWh of electricity per year;
- Improved processes by introducing new technologies and equipment such as an industrial-scale dust collectors for sandblasting.
- Partnered with Santa – technically, Santa’s Recycling for Charity, by donating a c-can (large storage container) to help with the charity’s storage needs, while also stepping up efforts to collect and donate refundable containers at the shipyard.
- Made the switch from single-use barrier tape to re-usable chains for marking safety exclusion zones. In addition to reducing waste, investing in reusable chain helps protect area birds, such as ospreys, that might use the plastic tape as nesting material;
- Replaced the hydraulic oil in owned and rented equipment with environmentally acceptable lubricants, also known as EALs, at our Vancouver Shipyards.
Seaspan Marine and Ferries:
- Implementing ever-more robust environmental workplace inspections focused on driving improvements in spill prevention, hazardous materials storage, and WHMIS labelling.