Sault Ste. Marie-based Algoma Steel competitively selected for work on the new Joint Support Ships for the Royal Canadian Navy
June 5, 2019 – North Vancouver, BC – Seaspan Shipyards (Seaspan) is pleased to announce that in association with its supply partner, Samuel Custom Plate, Algoma Steel Inc. (Algoma) has won a contract for work on Canada’s new Joint Support Ships (JSS). This award follows an open and competitive procurement process conducted by BC’s Samuel Custom Plate and Profiles. In working with Algoma and Samuel Custom Plate, Seaspan is affirming its confidence in the Canadian steel industry.
Under this contract, Samuel Custom Plate will subcontract Algoma to provide steel plates which will be used to construct part of the hull of the JSS. Algoma is a Canadian company employing 3,000 people at its steelworks in Sault Ste. Marie, ON. The company, whose rich history spans more than 100 years, was instrumental in uniting Canada from coast to coast through its fabrication of train rails, and is once again taking part in history by participating in the revitalization of Canada’s shipbuilding industry. Algoma represents one of almost 80 Ontario suppliers to date that Seaspan is working with to meet its commitments under the National Shipbuilding Strategy (NSS).
With its work under the NSS, Seaspan has developed more than $850M in committed contracts with approximately 570 Canadian companies. By building ships for the Canadian Coast Guard (CCG) and Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) in Canada, Seaspan is helping to re-establish a Canadian marine industry and helping to employ thousands of Canadians from coast to coast. As the company continues to make progress on its NSS commitments, this supply chain will grow as more Canadian companies realize new opportunities with a revitalized shipbuilding industry.
“This contract is another example of how Canadian companies are benefiting from work through the National Shipbuilding Strategy. The Strategy continues to provide economic benefits and supports the growth of meaningful, well-paying jobs across the country. Our ships are being built in Canada, by Canadians, with high-quality Canadian steel and materials.”
– The Honourable Carla Qualtrough, Minister of Public Services and Procurement and Accessibility
“As we work to fulfill our role under the National Shipbuilding Strategy (NSS), Seaspan Shipyards is pleased to work with partners like CPP and Algoma. As our supply chain expands, the NSS will continue to encourage investment by Canadian companies, support the development of export opportunities, and create highly skilled, middle class jobs across Canada.”
– Mark Lamarre, Chief Executive Officer, Seaspan Shipyards
“On behalf of Samuel Custom Plate and Profiles I am pleased to announce that Algoma Steel Inc. has won a competitive contract to provide steel plates for the Royal Canadian Navy’s new Joint Support Ships. Samuel Custom Plate and Profiles values its long term relationship with Seaspan Shipyards, ensuring that we continue to provide stable employment opportunities for Canadians by supplying Canadian made material through our partnership together under the National Shipbuilding Strategy.”
– Bob Thornton, Past President, Custom Plate & Profiles Ltd.
“Algoma Steel Inc. is pleased to supply steel plates for the new Joint Support Ships currently being built by Seaspan Shipyards. Being competitively selected to provide a quality Canadian made product is an encouraging endorsement of our capabilities. The Algoma team is very proud to participate once again in a project of such national significance, contributing to the rebirth of the shipbuilding industry here in Canada.”
– Michael McQuade, Chief Executive Officer, Algoma Steel Inc.
- Seaspan operates three yards with a combined workforce of over 2,300 people across its yards in North Vancouver & Victoria.
- To date, Seaspan has awarded over $850M in contracts to approximately 570 Canadian companies.
- Samuel, Son & Co. is a family-owned business founded in Ontario in 1855 with strategic holdings and partnerships across Canada, the US and Mexico.
- Custom Plate & Profiles (a division of Samuel) is Western Canada’s largest distributor and processor of Plate & Structural Products.
- Algoma Steel Inc. prides itself on producing some of the cleanest, most consistent light-gauge steel in North America, offering a wide range of hot and cold rolled steel sheet and plate products.
- Algoma is a fully integrated steel producer with raw steel production capacity of approximately 2.8 million tons per year, employing 3,000 people at its steelworks in Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Seaspan Shipyards and Shipbuilding Partners Celebrate Start of Construction on Canada’s Joint Support Ships
Seaspan’s National Shipbuilding Strategy website
National Shipbuilding Strategy (NSS)
Custom Plate and Profiles
LinkedIn: Seaspan ULC