Halifax based Bluedrop Training & Simulation Inc. has been awarded a contract to provide advanced training systems for the Offshore Fisheries Science Vessels
March 4, 2019 – North Vancouver, BC – Seaspan Shipyards (Seaspan) has awarded Bluedrop Training & Simulation Inc. (Bluedrop) of Halifax, Nova Scotia, a contract for work on the Canadian Coast Guard’s (CCG) new Offshore Fisheries Science Vessels (OFSV). Bluedrop represents one of several Atlantic Canadian suppliers to date that Seaspan is working with to meet its commitments under the National Shipbuilding Strategy (NSS).
Bluedrop designs and develops highly specialized, high performance, tactical training for frontline operators of equipment working in complex environments and high-risk situations. This includes, training systems needs analysis, custom courseware development, virtual simulation training devices, and ongoing in-service training support. Bluedrop is developing training programs for a variety of different systems on the OFSVs, including alarm control and monitoring, vessel maintenance, propulsion, power management, bridge operation, navigation, and internal communications.
Thanks to its work under the NSS, Seaspan has issued over $850M in committed contracts with approximately 570 Canadian companies. By building ships for the Canadian Coast Guard (CCG) and Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) in Canada, Seaspan is helping to re-establish a Canadian marine industry. As the company continues to make progress on its NSS commitments, this supply chain is expected to grow as more Canadian companies realize new opportunities with a revitalized shipbuilding industry. It is through its work on the NSS that Seaspan is directly and indirectly helping to employ thousands of Canadians from coast to coast to coast.
“This contract is another example of how the National Shipbuilding Strategy is providing economic opportunities for Canadian businesses. Our government’s efforts to revitalize Canada’s marine industry are creating jobs across the country, while delivering the Canadian Coast Guard and the Royal Canadian Navy with the ships they need to do their important work.”
– The Honourable Carla Qualtrough, Minister of Public Services and Procurement and Accessibility
“Seaspan Shipyards is committed to building ships in Canada with a Canadian workforce and supply chain. Our relationship with Bluedrop is a prime example of this work and a demonstration of the national impact of the National Shipbuilding Strategy (NSS). Thanks to the NSS, we are creating highly-skilled, middle-class jobs, and growing our industry.”
– Mark Lamarre, Chief Executive Officer, Seaspan Shipyards
“On behalf of Bluedrop I am pleased to announce that we have been awarded a contract to provide training systems for the Canadian Coast Guard’s (CCG) new Offshore Fisheries Science Vessels (OFSV) currently being built at Seaspan’s Vancouver Shipyards. This contract is of particular significance to Bluedrop as it represents our first sale to a company based on Canada’s West Coast. We are proud to be a part of the National Shipbuilding Strategy (NSS) and to partner with Seaspan to deliver world class training services to the CCG.”
– Jean-Claude Siew, Vice President of Technology & Simulation, Bluedrop Training & Simulation
- Seaspan operates three yards with a combined workforce greater than 2,300 people across its yards in North Vancouver & Victoria.
- To date, Seaspan has awarded over $850M in contracts to approximately 570 Canadian companies, with nearly $40M in contracts awarded to Atlantic Canada-based companies.
- Bluedrop Training & Simulation Inc. is a wholly owned company of Bluedrop Performance Learning Inc. headquartered in St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador and has employees spread across Canada and the US.
- Bluedrop designs and develops advanced training systems and state-of-the-art simulation products to safely train operators and maintainers of complex equipment.
- Bluedrop is a small to medium-sized enterprise (SME) offering 100% Canadian designed and developed training solutions.
- Seaspan Shipyards and the Government of Canada Celebrate the Launch of the First Large Vessel Designed and Built Under Canada’s National Shipbuilding Strategy
- National Shipbuilding Strategy (NSS)
- Bluedrop Training & Simulation
- Seaspan Shipyards
LinkedIn: Seaspan ULC
ABOUT SEASPAN SHIPYARDS
With operations in North Vancouver and Victoria, Seaspan Shipyards is a leader in Canada’s shipbuilding and ship repair industry. With modern facilities and a dedicated workforce, the company has proven itself to be a reliable partner on a range of complex projects for both government and the private sector.
Seaspan Shipyards is proud to be Canada’s chosen non-combat shipbuilder under the National Shipbuilding Strategy (NSS). In this capacity, the company is building state-of-the-art ships in Canada for the Canadian Coast Guard and Royal Canadian Navy. Through its NSS-related work, Seaspan Shipyards is creating jobs, generating economic benefits and rebuilding Canada’s shipbuilding and marine industries.
Manager, Public Affairs