Canada’s Most Modern Shipyard
Seaspan’s Shipyard Modernization Project is complete! On November 6, 2014, Vancouver Shipyards officially celebrated the completion of its two-year, $170M Shipyard Modernization Project ahead of schedule and under-budget. Funded entirely by Seaspan, this project has transformed Vancouver Shipyards into the most modern facility in North America that will establish a shipbuilding and ship repair centre of excellence on the West Coast, and allow for the effective and efficient delivery of Non-Combat vessels for the Canadian Coast Guard and Royal Canadian Navy, while providing greater potential to compete in the international market for commercial shipbuilding work.
- Time Lapse
Shipyard Modernization Time Lapse 1
Shipyard Modernization Time Lapse 2
Shipyard Modernization Time Lapse 3
While the main design and construction activities of the National Shipbuilding Procurement Strategy will take place at Vancouver Shipyards, tests and trials will occur at Victoria Shipyards.
Our Shipyard Modernization was completed on time and below budget, and resulted in the creation of the following facilities:
- Sub Assembly Shop with modern equipment
- Panel Shop with panel line
- Block Assembly Shop
- Pre-Outfitting Shop
- Paint and Blast Shop
- 300 tonne permanent Gantry crane over erection berth
Extra benefits of modernization project include:
- Improvements to ground water capture and treatment;
- Improvements to Blast and Paint and related production facilities with increased environmental controls;
- Increase in percentage of work indoors reducing noise and dust.