Since 2007, Seaspan has implemented and maintained an Environmental Management System (EMS) that conforms to ISO 14001, the recognized international standard for excellence in environmental management.
Seaspan is certified by a third party, and externally audited on an annual basis.
ISO 14001 is a process-oriented standard, based on the “Plan – Do – Check – Act” methodology, and integrated with the company’s environmental management system. The system exists to help organizations minimize their environmental impacts, comply with applicable laws, regulations, and requirements, and works to continually improve environmental performance.
We adhere to the classic PLAN-DO-CHECK-ACT of ISO systems
- We maintain a corporate Environmental Policy endorsed and supported by senior management
- We set annual corporate environmental objectives and targets, including Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to assist us with improving our environmental performance
- Each Seaspan business unit maintains a detailed Environmental Action Plan which is reviewed regularly
- We identify all the potential environmental impacts to land, water, and air from our operations and put in place the controls necessary to reduce the risk
- We comply with all legal requirements, and stay current with the changing environmental regulatory framework
- We conduct regular inspections and internal audits to check that our operational controls and best management practices are in place, and sufficient to reduce the potential environmental impact from our operations
- We complete incident investigations, and ‘lessons learned’ sessions – raising corrective action where necessary to ensure that we learn from our mistakes and most importantly, prevent recurrence
- We review our environmental performance quarterly with senior management and adjust our systems and practices to avoid stagnancy and ensure continual improvement