Ottawa, ON – Seaspan Shipyards (Seaspan) has awarded BluMetric Environmental Inc. (BluMetric) of Ottawa, Ontario, a contract valued at more than $4.16M for work on Canada’s new Joint Support Ships (JSS). BluMetric represents one of more than 60 Ontario suppliers that Seaspan is working with to meet its commitments under the National Shipbuilding Strategy (NSS).
BluMetric is providing Shipboard Reverse Osmosis Desalination (SROD) Water Purification Systems for JSS. BluMetric’s SROD water purification systems are designed to bring cutting edge desalination technologies to naval vessels, resulting in significant fleet energy savings while almost doubling output. In addition to being selected to provide new SROD units, BluMetric will also provide harbour acceptance trials (HAT) and sea acceptance trials (SAT).
Thanks to its work under the NSS, Seaspan has developed nearly $650M in committed contracts with approximately 520 Canadian companies. By building ships for the Canadian Coast Guard (CCG) and Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) in Canada, Seaspan is helping to re-establish a Canadian supply chain. As the company continues to make progress on its NSS commitments, this supply chain is expected to grow as more Canadian companies realize new opportunities with a revitalized shipbuilding industry. It is through its work on the NSS that Seaspan is directly and indirectly helping to employ thousands of Canadians from coast to coast to coast.
“BluMetric’s technology means that our women and men of the Royal Canadian Navy will benefit from cutting-edge water purification technology on board their vessels. We are proud to be able to showcase Canadian innovations through the National Shipbuilding Strategy, which is benefitting Canadians and Canadian companies from coast to coast to coast.”
– The Honourable Carla Qualtrough, Minister of Public Services and Procurement and Accessibility
“Thanks to work under the National Shipbuilding Strategy (NSS), Seaspan Shipyards is developing a Canadian supply chain that can respond to the needs of our domestic shipbuilding industry. With this supply chain development, the NSS is encouraging investment by Canadian companies, supporting the development of export opportunities, and creating highly-skilled, middle class jobs across Canada. Our relationship with BluMetric Environmental is an important one and their involvement in the NSS demonstrates the national impact of Canada’s shipbuilding program.”
– Mark Lamarre, Chief Executive Officer, Seaspan Shipyards
“On behalf of BluMetric Environmental I am pleased to announce that Seaspan has awarded our firm a contract to deliver the water purification system for the Royal Canadian Navy’s new JSS currently under construction at Seaspan’s Vancouver Shipyards. Being competitively selected by Seaspan to provide a quality Canadian made product is an encouraging endorsement of our capabilities. We are proud to be part of an undertaking as important to Canada as the NSS and to partner with a company as integral to our country’s shipbuilding industry as Seaspan.”
– Scott MacFabe, CEO, BluMetric Environmental Inc.
- Seaspan operates three yards with a combined workforce greater than 2,000 people across its yards in North Vancouver & Victoria
- To date, Seaspan has awarded nearly $650M in contracts to approximately 520 Canadian companies, with nearly $160M in contracts awarded to Ontario-based companies
- Headquartered in Ottawa, Ontario BluMetric Environmental Inc. is a publicly traded cleantech company with a portfolio of industry-leading engineering services and proprietary equipment providing sustainable solutions to environmental challenges.
- BluMetric is known for cutting-edge work in the fields of water/wastewater treatment and professional environmental services.
- BluMetric currently employs 165 and is confident that its work under the NSS will lead to new opportunities for the company.
- Seaspan Shipyards and Shipbuilding Partners Celebrate Start of Construction on Canada’s Joint Support Ships
- BluMetric Environmental
ABOUT SEASPAN SHIPYARDS
With operations in North Vancouver and Victoria, Seaspan Shipyards is a leader in Canada’s shipbuilding and ship repair industry. With modern facilities and a dedicated workforce, the company has proven itself to be a reliable partner on a range of complex projects for both government and the private sector.
Seaspan Shipyards is proud to be Canada’s chosen non-combat shipbuilder under the National Shipbuilding Strategy (NSS). In this capacity, the company is building state-of-the-art ships in Canada for the Canadian Coast Guard and Royal Canadian Navy. Through its NSS-related work, Seaspan Shipyards is creating jobs, generating economic benefits and rebuilding Canada’s shipbuilding and marine industries.
Manager, Public Affairs